PROCESS OF HIJAMA
The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ is narrated to have said: “If there is anything good in the medicines with which you treat yourselves, it is a cupping operation, or branding (cauterization with fire), but I do not like to be branded (cauterized).” [Narrated Jabir: from Bukhari 7.605]
• The first thing for the patient to consider in receiving Hijama is intention.
'Umar Ibn Al-Khattab relates that he heard the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam, say, "Verily actions are by intentions, and for every person is what he intended. So the one whose hijrah was to Allah and His Messenger, then his hijrah was to Allah and His Messenger. And the one whose hijrah was for the world to gain from it, or a woman to marry her, then his hijrah was to what he made hijrah for."
1. To follow and trust the recommendations and example of the Prophet ﷺ.
2. Approaching your Lord for what you need trusting the Source and Witness of all things Who has Power over all things.
Ex: Healing can be a physical situation, an understanding, an experience we have gone through.
• Be clean. Bathe before arrival for the hijama.
• Arrive on-time with an empty stomach.
Some come for Hijama while fasting. This is acceptable but you should know that hijama occasionally creates an effect of becoming weak and rare cases of vomiting. If you intend to fast, I recommend you try this outside of Ramadan so you do not lose your fast.
• Medical intake → Supplication → Application of Cups → Removal of Cups →
Scratching the Skin → Reapplication of Cups → Removal of Cups - remove blood